Do I Need a Tourist Visa to Visit Canada?
READ MORE ABOUT: Temporary Visas
Update on Canadian Visitor Visas and Coronavirus:
- Applicants can continue to apply for visitor visas, otherwise known as temporary resident visas (TRVs), via online applications only. Paper applications are not being accepted at this time.
- Applications will be prioritized for individuals who are currently eligible to travel based on current travel restrictions.
- If you’re traveling by air, you need to follow all airline requirements and pass a health check conducted by airlines before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada by air.
- When you arrive in Canada, they will assess your health before you leave the port of entry.
- You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.
- Only people who provide essential services, for example, truck drivers who regularly cross the border to maintain the flow of goods, are exempt from the quarantine requirements.
For more updates on the Coronavirus, visit our page on the impact the Coronavirus has had on Canadian immigration.
Canada Visitor Visa
What You Need to Know About Visitor Visas In Canada
Canada is home to millions of visitors each year. In fact, more than 35 million people visit Canada every year to enjoy the many opportunities our country has to offer, including visiting family and friends. If you wish to come to Canada for a temporary purpose like a vacation, or to visit family or friends, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa, unless you are a citizen from a “visa exempt” country like the USA or Australia.
Application for a Temporary Resident Visa
A Temporary Resident Visa is often referred to as a TRV in our industry. You will most likely need to file Form IMM 5257. Form IMM 5257 is used by individuals who want to apply for a TRV to visit Canada for a temporary purpose such as tourism, visiting family or friends, or business trips.
5 Main Documents You Will Need With Your Canada Tourist Visa (TRV) Forms
There are five major documents you are required to show when applying for a TRV. Note that each immigration case is a little different depending on your specific situation, but generally you should have the following documentation when applying for a ‘Temporary Resident Visa’ in Canada:
- Proof of your ties to your home country
- Proof of funds for your visit to Canada
- ID such as a passport or county resident card
- A letter of invitation from the person inviting you to come to Canada
- Proof that you will be staying in Canada only on a temporary basis
Disclaimer: There may be other documents and information that you may need.Individuals must obtain a TRV before departure from their home country. Individuals cannot obtain a TRV upon arrival in Canada.
How to Extend a Canadian Visitor Visa
If you’re currently in Canada and want to stay longer than your visa’s expiration date, you could file for an extension. In order to apply for an extension, you will need to fill out an IMM 5708 Form.
If your application to extend your stay in Canada is approved, you will receive a visitor record.
A visitor record:
- is a document that says how long you can stay in Canada
- includes an expiry date
- that’s the date that you must leave Canada by
A visitor record does not guarantee entry to Canada. If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you need a valid entry document to return to Canada.
What is the IMM 5708 Form?
Form IMM 5708, Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder, is the form used by temporary residents to modify some conditions of their residency in Canada.
This form can be used to extend your temporary resident permit as many times as you like, provided you can show that your stay remains temporary.
This form does not affect one’s status as a student or as a temporary worker in Canada. To extend the student or work permits, applicants should use a different application.
What are the Requirements to Extend a Canada Visitor Visa?
- You need to be currently in Canada
- You need to hold a current passport that will stay valid for the duration of your stay
- You will need to pay the associated fee for Form IMM 5708
- You will need to ensure that any other permits that you hold (Study or work) will stay valid and not interfere with your visitor permit.
Other Important Temporary Resident Visa Information
In order to qualify for a Temporary Resident Visa, individuals must show the officer that they meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and that they will be in Canada for a temporary stay.
Individuals must also:
- Satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their stay
- Show that they have enough money to maintain themselves and their family members in Canada and to return home
- Not intend to work or study in Canada (unless authorized to do so)
- Have no record of criminal activity
- Not be a risk to the security of Canada
- Be in good health (complete a medical examination if required)
Why Seeking Professional Immigration Help is Important
While the procedures for applying for a Canadian Visitor Visa may seem uncomplicated, some applicants apply without seeking any help from an immigration lawyer, thinking that they can ‘do it themselves’. For TRV applications, there is actually a higher risk of refusal in cases where the application is not properly prepared. The standards are very high. We find that the number one reason why applications are denied is due to forms not being correctly filled out. It is a shame when someone can not fulfill their dreams because of one missed ‘dotted i’ or ‘crossed t’. You can increase your chances at getting an approval on your TRV applications with the assistance of professional immigration professionals.
Why Hire Us to Help You With Your TRV Applications
Many of our clients are happy to relieve themselves of the headaches of preparing paperwork and having to deal with government red tape by outsourcing this work to our professional team of immigration professionals. It is extremely satisfying to see our clients enter Canada with a Canadian Visitor Visa to see their family and friends or to travel through Canada’s wonderful landscape without all the hassles of filing tons of complicated paperwork. We have literally helped thousands and thousands of people successfully visit Canada, and even though no one can promise any guarantees, we are certain we can help you increase your chances with our extensive experience.
Getting started is easy. Just fill out our immigration assessment form here and we’ll get back to you (within 24 hours) to discuss your eligibility and options. Call us today at +1.647.557.7407 for an assessment to see if you are eligible to move to Canada, or fill out our online assessment form.