A Turkey Visa is an authorization to enter Turkey and stay there for a particular period of time. It enables you to engage in several activities and depending on the type, even to study or work.
Some of the visas permit you to even apply for a Turkish residence permit and stay in Turkey for at least a year.
Who Needs a Turkey Visa?
There is a long list of world nationals that need a Turkey visa to enter the country. Exempt are only the nationals of countries that have good diplomatic relations with Turkey.
Those that need to apply for a Turkey Visa are grouped in two:
- Foreigners that can apply for an e-visa for tourism or commerce, and a sticker visa for other purposes.
- Foreigners that should get a sticker visa for Turkey for any purpose of entry.
In addition, there are some categories, which are exempt from both groups. Check our detailed article on who needs a Turkey visa, with full lists of all these categories and exemptions.
Check what type of Turkish visa you need to apply for
There are a few Turkish Visa types, for which you can apply. The main thing that you need to know is whether you can apply for an e-visa or a sticker visa.
Note that according to the purpose of traveling to Turkey you will need to select one of the following main Turkish visa types:
- Turkish Tourist/Business Visa. You can apply for this visa if the main purpose of your trip to Turkey is transit, touristic visit, business meeting/commerce, conference/seminar/meeting, festival/fair/exhibition, sportive activity, cultural-artistic activity, official visit, or visit to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
- Turkish Education Visa. You can apply for this visa if the main purpose of the application is for doing an internship, attending a course or other educational purposes, in Turkey or the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
- Turkey Work Visa. You can apply for this visa if the main purpose of your trip to Turkey is employment, or you are an assigned academic, sportsperson, artist, free zone worker, journalist to Turkey or for montage and repairman purposes.
- Other Visas. You may as well apply for other visas that do not fall under the ones listed above, as: archaeological excavation, exploration purpose, documentary purpose, tour operator representative, medical treatment purposes, accompaniment purpose, family unification purpose, freight visa, or seafarer visa.
For more details about the Transit visa for Turkey and the Turkish residence permits visit the respective articles.
Applying for a Turkish e-Visa
On the other hand, if you need a Turkish eVisa, the application process is way shorter and easier. You need to complete the following steps to get an eVisa for Turkey.
- Go to the Turkish eVisa Website and complete the online application form.
- Check your email. Within minutes, you must receive an email asking you to confirm that you have started an application for an eVisa. If you do not find this email in your inbox, you probably have received it in your spam folder. Click the link you have received, which will take you back to the eVisa application website.
- Pay the fee. You will then need to pay the fee for an eVisa application online at the eVisa application website. Once you pay the fee, the web will tell you that you will receive an email with the eVisa.
- Download your e–Visa. You will again receive an email. This will not be the eVisa but rather a button that will take you again to the same website, where you will have to download your eVisa.
- Print your e–visa. The Turkish authorities want you to present your e-visa in a printed form. Showing the border authorities a version of your e-visa in your phone or other gadgets is not acceptable. The e-visa must be printed.
Turkey Visa Application Processing
The processing of a Turkey visa application depends on the country from where you are applying. While in some countries you can get an answer within three days, in others the average may be about 15 working days.
When applying for a work visa, the processing of your application may last for 25 working days.
You can track the status of your application at the same website from where you started your application.
How Much Does it Cost to Apply for a Turkish Visa?
You will need to pay a particular Turkish visa fee when you lodge your application. The fees for a Turkey sticker visa and an e-visa are different.
Depending on your nationality, the Turkish e-visa fees range from €14 to €71.
On the other hand, the Turkish visa fees for sticker visas start at €117 the lowest, to €180 the highest, for most nationalities. Yet, citizens of some other countries, as the UAE may have to pay higher visas, up to €465.
For a full list of the Turkish visa costs, check our article on Turkey visa fees.
When applying for a Turkish visa, you will need to collect several documents and submit them at the Turkish embassy/consulate. These documents prove your intention and eligibility for traveling to Turkey.
The required documents for a Turkish visa may differ depending on the visa type you are applying for. Your nationality may also have an impact in this regard, as the nationals of some countries need to submit additional or fewer documents.
Sticker Visa Requirements for Turkey
You can start collecting the required documents for a Turkish visa as soon as you complete the form at the Pre-Application System. The sooner you start gathering them, the better for you. Make sure they all meet the criteria and specifications set by the Turkish authorities.
The main documents you need to collect for a Turkey visa application are as follows:
Turkey Visa Application Form
The application form for a visa is the same for every Turkish visa type. You can find it here! The form contains questions on the following:
- Name and surname.
- Date and place of birth.
- ID number.
- Citizenship and country of residence.
- Parents’ name.
- Type of passport.
- The type of visa you are applying for.
- The requested duration of stay.
- Info on previous visa applications for Turkey.
- Info on previous trips to Turkey.
- Info on your spouse and children, if applicable.
Complete it manually, and sign it at the end.
Turkey Visa Photo Requirements
You should submit two identical photos, as a part of your Turkey visa application. The Turkey Visa photo size should be 5cm x 6cm and taken within the last six months.
Following, find a list of the Turkey visa photo requirements:
- Be of high quality, in sharp focus and clean.
- No ink marks and creases.
- Have the appropriate brightness and contrast.
- Not have any staple marks.
- You must be looking directly at the camera.
Passport or Other Travel Document
You must submit a passport or another travel document that is valid for at least another six months on the date you reach Turkey. Make sure it has at least one blank page in order for the embassy/consulate to be able to affix the sticker visa on it. The passport will remain at the Turkish embassy during the time that is application is being processed.
Alongside with the passport, you should also submit copies of entry and exit seal/stamps of previously obtained visas, if any.
Proof of Accommodation
No matter how long you are planning to remain in Turkey, you must show where you will stay. Even for only a night! You can present any of the following as proof of accommodation in Turkey:
- Hotel Booking in Turkey. If you will be staying at a hotel, you should submit a booking letter that includes the entry and exit dates, your name, and surname, as well as the address and contact details of the hotel.
- Invitation letter by a host in Turkey. If a Turkish resident has invited you to stay over at their place while you are in Turkey, then you need to submit a letter of invitation written by the host. It should include the details of the host, their contact, and the address of the place. Also, your name and surname, and your relationship with the host.
Means of Support
The Turkish authorities want you to show you have enough money to support yourself during your trip to Turkey. You should have about €50 for every day you plan to spend for Turkey. You can prove that you have the needed money through:
- Bank Statements for the last three months.
- Proof of other income as salary slips, from renting, proof of your spouse’s income, etc.
- Letter of support, from another person, who guarantees to cover your expenses. Proof that this person has the means to do so, is also required, i.e. their bank statements.
Note that if a host covers your accommodation in Turkey, you will be eligible to apply with less than €50 per day. If the food is also covered, an even smaller amount of money will be required. Proof of covered accommodation and meals is mandatory in this case.
Travel Itinerary / Flight Booking
You will need to show proof of how you plan to reach Turkey and what you are planning to do while there. The following are included.
- Proof of Flight Booking. If you are planning to travel to Turkey by plane, you will need to book a roundtrip flight and present this document to the embassy or consulate on the day of your appointment.
Other documents are accepted as well, depending on the means of transport you are planning to use to reach Turkey, i.e. bus ticket, driver’s license and authorization to enter Turkey by car, etc.
Submit other documents as well, depending on what you are planning to do in Turkey, i.e. invitations to attend events, booked tours, museum tickets, etc.
Travel Medical Insurance
It is compulsory to have Travel Medical Insurance in order to be able to travel to Turkey. The insurance must cover the whole territory of Turkey with minimal coverage of €30,000.
Police Clearance Certificate
Submit a Police clearance certificate or another equivalent document obtained by the relevant authorities in your country of residence. This document should show that you have not been involved in any criminal activities in recent years.
Visa requirements for Turkey according to your employment status
- If you are employed you need to submit a guarantee letter from your employer, which states that you will return to your country of residence after the trip to Turkey. Pay slips for the last 3 months are also required.
- If you are a business owner, you need to submit your company’s certificate of establishment and registration, the company’s trade license, and the company bank account statement showing transactions for the last 3 months.
- If your spouse provides for you, you should submit the same applicable documents as listed above, for your spouse.
Required Documents for applicants under the age of 18 years old
- Birth certificate.
- Consent letter issued by the parent that is not accompanying the child if, only one parent is traveling with the minor visa applicant.
- Documents on custody rights, if the parents are divorced or a third person is the legal guardian of the applicant.
- Death certificate, if one or both parents have passed away.
Turkey Visa FAQ
How long should my passport be valid to be eligible for Turkey visa application?
According to Turkish laws, travelers wishing to enter Turkey must carry a passport with an expiration date at least 60 days beyond the “duration of stay” of their visa, e-Visa, visa exemption, or residence permit.
Can I visit Turkey with a Schengen Visa?
You can enter Turkey with a Schengen visa under several conditions:
- You must be a national of one of the 63 world countries and territories eligible to apply for an e-visa for tourism and business.
- You must be traveling to Turkey with an airline that has protocols with the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- You must have a hotel reservation and the required financial means.
Can I visit Turkey with a US Visa?
You can enter Turkey with a US visa under several conditions, which are the same as listed above for entering Turkey with a Schengen Visa.
Do I need to enter Turkey on the exact date specified in my application?
No, you do not since the validity period of your e-Visa begins from the date specified in your application. You are permitted to enter Turkey on any date you want within this period.
Can I get an e-visa for work and study?
No, you will need a Turkish sticker visa to study or work in Turkey. Turkish e-visas are only for tourism and commercial purposes.
What is the latest I can apply for an e-Visa?
The latest you can apply for an e-Visa is 48 hours before your trip. On the other hand, you are permitted to apply as early as three months in advance, at most.
Can I fill-in the e-visa form in another language
In addition to English, French, and Spanish, the following options will be added to the e-Visa system soon: Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, German, Arabic, and Chinese language.
Can I get a refund if I do not use my Turkish visa?
No, the Turkish authorities do not refund payments for unused Turkish sticker visas or e-Visas.
May I apply for a new e-Visa while I am in Turkey?
If you are in Tukey and your e-Visa is about to expire, you will not be permitted to apply for an e-Visa within Turkey, without first leaving the country.
Yet, you can apply for a residence permit at the Provincial Directorate of Migration Management, if you meet the criteria for one.
What happens if I overstay my Turkish Visa?
If you overstay your Turkish visa, you may be fined, deported or banned from entering Turkey in the future for a specific period.
What is a ‘UK Special Passports’ in the Turkish e-Visa system?
A UK Special passport means a British passport marked as British Overseas Citizen, British Protected Person or British Subject. Holders of these types of British passports will need to apply for a sticker visa before traveling to Turkey.
Do I need travel insurance for Turkey?
All travelers who need to apply for a visa to Turkey are required to have adequate Turkish travel insurance coverage.