There are a few procedures you may need to complete before coming to Spain. One of these procedures is getting a visa.

A Spain visa is an authorization to enter Spain and remain there for a particular amount of days. It is usually in the form of a sticker, affixed to one’s passport. The type of visa you apply for defines the activities you can perform while in Spain.

To get a Spain visa you will need to meet several criteria, complete a few procedures and most probably pay a fee.

According to the length of your stay in Spain, there are two main Spanish visa types:

  • Spain short-stay visas. Also known as a Schengen visa, this is a visa for staying in Spain for a period of up to 90 days within 6 months. This visa does not permit you to work.
  • Spain long-stay visas. For staying in Spain for a period of longer than three months. Depending on the long-stay visa type you apply for, you may also be authorized to work in Spain.

Required Documents for a Spain Visa Application


The main requirements for a visa to Spain are:

  • Visa Application Form.
  • Two biometric photos.
  • Your passport.
  • Copies of passport pages with info.
  • Flight reservation.
  • Proof of accommodation.
  • Medical Insurance.
  • Medical Certificate.
  • Proof of Sufficient Financial Means.

Spain Short-Stay Visa Fees

If you are traveling to Spain for a short-term visit, and you need to apply for a Spain Schengen visa, then you will most probably need to pay the fee.

Spain Schengen visa fees are as follows:

  • Adults need to pay a fee of €80.
  • Minors under the age of 12 years old need to pay a fee of €40.
  • Children under 6 years of age are exempt from the visa fee.

In addition, the nationals of several countries also pay lower visa fees due to reciprocal agreements with the EU. Some other categories are exempt from paying the fee at all due to their purpose of the application. Check our article on Schengen visa fees for a full list of these categories.

Spain Long-Stay Visa Fees

On the other side, if you are applying for a long-stay visa to Spain, you will need to pay other fees, which are higher than the short-stay visa fees.

What Are the Types of Long Stay Visas for Spain?

The most common Spain visa types for long-stay are as follows:

  • Spain Student Visa. If you want to attend a study course that lasts more than three months, you will have to apply for a Spain Student Visa.
  • Spain Work Visa. All qualifying persons who wish to work in Spain must apply for this visa.
  • Spain Au Pair Visa. You can apply for this visa if you will be working for a family in Spain, under certain conditions.
  • Spain Golden Visa. This is a residency by investment program, through which you can move to Spain if you invest a certain amount in real estate.
  • Spain Entrepreneur Visa. This is a visa for entrepreneurs who wish to invest in Spain.
  • Spain Working Holiday Visa. You can apply for this visa if you want to go to Spain to do a summer job.
  • Non-Lucrative Residence Visa. If you wish to immigrate in Spain and you have sufficient income to support yourself and your dependents you may apply for a Non-lucrative residence visa. Upon arrival in Spain, you can then apply for a residence permit for two years.