U.S. Permanent Residence – How To Get a Green Card

If you are interested in moving permanently to the U.S., read the information we have provided below to learn more about how you can get a Green Card. Then, fill out our immigration assessment form and we’ll get back to you to discuss your eligibility and options.


      Call: +1.647.557.6042


United States Permanent Residence

USCIS Offices are now open to the public.

  • All permanent resident/green card applications are still being accepted and processed, although this process is taking longer than usual due to the spread of COVID-19.
  • Do not travel if you are sick, or if you have been around someone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days. Do not travel with someone who is sick.
  • Stay home for 14 days from the time you returned home from international travel.

  • Do not go to work or school for a full 14 days.

  • Do not take public transportation, taxis, or ride-shares for a full 14 days.

For more updates on the Coronavirus, visit our page on how the Coronavirus will affect U.S. immigration.

Flag Icon   U.S. Permanent Residence

How to Become a U.S. Permanent Resident

There are a few different ways for applying for U.S. permanent residence, where you would obtain what is known as a Green Card. The most common way to get a Green Card would be through one of two methods:

  • Family-Based Immigration
  • Employment-Based Immigration

Seeking refuge is also a way someone may be able to receive permanent residence in the United States. You may be eligible for a green card if the government granted you asylum due to life threatening circumstances in your home country. Individuals granted asylum can apply for a green card after one year of residence in the U.S.

Long-time resident non-citizens may escape deportation proceedings and apply for a green card if they can prove their removal from the country would cause severe hardship to another U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

Most common way to get a Green Card:

Once you receive your green card, carry it with you at all times for identification purposes. While permanent resident status continues as long as you live in the U.S., your green card is valid for 10 years. You are required to renew it before the expiration date.

Immigration and Naturalization (INS) can revoke your green card if you are convicted of crimes including murder, terrorist activities, sexual assault, drug/gun trafficking, theft, and fraud.

Your card can also be revoked if you fail to maintain valid residency in the U.S. If you travel abroad for extended periods, be careful to maintain evidence that the U.S. is your home base. Filing tax returns, owing property, or having U.S. bank accounts are good proofs of residency. If your green card is revoked by an INS agent, you have the right to be heard before an immigration judge.

Permanent residents who will be out of the country longer than 6 months should apply for a Travel Document (Form I-131). This permit will allow re-entry into the U.S. If you will be out of the country for over 2 years or after the expiration of your green card or re-entry permit, apply for a special immigrant visa (SB-1) at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

If you are one of the many people in the world looking to become an American citizen, a green card will be your best friend. Understanding what this card can do and how to obtain one is your first step towards becoming either a new American or a new American worker.

The first step towards a successful Green Card application is getting an assessment of your case. Call us today at +1.647.557.6042 or fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and options.

Call: +1.647.557.6042